On Saturday, a matchup between neighbors in the rankings, Merab Dvalishvili (#12) and Cody Stamann (#13) was announced for Feb. 6 by MMA DNA. It would later be found to be in jeopardy as Dvalishvili revealed he had tested positive for COVID-19, 2 weeks prior.

In an initial report by Giorgi Kokiashvili, Merab asked the UFC to reschedule this booking to a later date because he is currently battling the health issues that came with COVID-19.

Stamann did not like the news.

“Screw Merab.” said Stamann. “I’m fighting February 6th.”

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

‘The Spartan’ has no intention of rescheduling the fight with Dvalishvili. After all, this would not be the first time a fight with the Georgian has fell apart. This matchup had originally been booked for December 5, 2020. However, Stamann pulled out of the bout due to COVID-19.

MMA Island caught up with Stamann late Saturday night.

“I’ll take someone else.” Stamann said, when asked about the potential of waiting for Merab down the line.

If Merab Dvalishvili isn’t ready to make the walk in February, who should step in to save the day and make Stamann’s wish to stay on the card come true?

By Chris De Santiago

Founder of MMA Island, journalist at LowKick MMA, formerly Asian Persuasion MMA.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *